Only an Entertainer can understand me- May7ven

May7ven in her stunning look Queen of Afrobeats, Multiple Award winning singer, writer, dancer and producer Yemisi May Odegbami ...

May7ven in her stunning look




Queen of Afrobeats, Multiple Award winning singer, writer, dancer and producer Yemisi May Odegbami widely known as May7ven, has an amazing personality-her daring looks, charisma, poise and aura could hold any man spell-bound.

The Nigerian-born singer was born in Ibadan to one of Nigeria’s greatest football and sports legends, Chief Segun Odegbami and a Nigerian mother Jumoke Tejumola, an accountant and an ex-athlete; little wonder she’s very passionate about sports (especially football). In this exclusive interview with Sundown Sports, the gorgeous singer talks about her beginning, aspirations, music, favourite football club, sport personalities and her ideal man.


Could you let us into your humble or proud background as the case may be?
Sure, I grew up in Nigeria, schooled there till I was 7 years old then moved with my mother to the UK. It wasn't easy being the daughter of a footballer Segun Odegbami, but I guess it was a huge blessing.

What topped your aspirations while growing up?
I was driven by success and having a mother that was so hard working and motivated, and a father who was one of Nigeria's best footballers, I knew that I just had to be successful and excel at anything I decided to do. Music was my first passion so I homed in on it.



Did you ever dream of a life full of glamour earlier in life?
I sure did. As a kid I danced and sang in front of the mirror daily. Tried on wigs with different crazy outfits and just wanted it all.


What achievements have you recorded in the last couple of years as a professional artiste?
The one that really shaped my career was ‘Bo Aso La Ra Mi’. I took a big risk at the time when there were no other female R&B/Nigerian artists on the mainstream. Absolutely nobody in a male dominated industry. I shot a very big video, danced, sang a sexy song and got the attention of everyone worldwide including the likes of MTV UK, Europe and won over 9 awards. My latest offering "Ten Ten" only in its infancy went straight to the A-List in the UK. Which is the 2nd Afrobeats song in history to go A-List on UK Commercial radio.


You grew up knowing a dad who was a great professional footballer; weren't you moved in a way to follow dad's path?
Certainly, I mean, the fact that he could survive around coming from a poor family in Jos and then becoming a national treasure, and doing what he loved best inspired me significantly. But he also used to get in trouble which always puts his parents in distress. I wanted to emulate him and make Nigerians proud worldwide.


Yes, your dad earned his great name as a footballer; but wouldn't you have wished he played at this age where football is more lucrative?
I didn't know as I believed he played at the best time when football was a big deal in Nigerian and we had stars. Our people appreciated the sports and the sportsmen. The money is important but not as important as the passion and the appreciation from the people. If you are talking about dad playing internationally as suppose to the Nigerian football team then yes, now is a great time.



What football team do you support in England? [I guess it's Man Utd]
100 percent Manchester United!


When did you become a fan and what caught your eyes about the club?
I have always been a fan, but not a fanatic. Since the days of Mark Hughes, Paul Ince and when we had the best goal keeper in the world Peter Schmeichel. I fell in love with them and I have been supporting them ever since.


Would you prefer a husband who loves football or music?
Now, that is a very tough one. To be honest, I think I can only ever be with a sportsman/footballer or someone in music. I don't think anyone else could understand me and these two areas which I am mostly passionate about.

What is the weirdest thing you've done before because your club recorded a major success?
I do weird things daily so that is a tough one.

The most recent sad moment you had because of your club?
I cried buckets


Could you relive how you celebrate a goal?
I do a handstand at each and every goal scored… vomit on hat tricks, lol jokes.

Who's your hottest sportswoman that you feel has the perfect shape in terms of appeal?
The next best thing after Flo Jo is Jade Johnson, super hot. I also love Serena Williams after hanging out and partying with her in London.

And the hottest sportsman that appeals to you most?
Cristiano Ronaldo my one and only!

Do you go for live games once in a while?
I have been to a few but I have a crowd phobia (being inside a crowd) I can perform to thousands but to be in the audience freaks me out, lol, weird I know.

Tell us what you dislike about football?
I love everything apart from losing.

In three words, describe Mario Balotelli?
Super Crazy talent.

Who’s favourite player or sportsperson of all time?
Of all time? My dad of course.


What is the biggest mistake you feel your club manager made at a point in time?
I think we have one if not the world’s best manager. Sir Alex is a genius but yeah, he made some blunders but that’s allowed. Signing Bebe and spending so much on him.

What other major sports do you enjoy and who are your bests in them?
I love the men’s 100meters, basketball, boxing and that’s about it. Everything else I find boring.


Do you still have confidence in the present crop of Super Eagles?
Confidence, nope! But hope yes.

If your club and Super Eagles are playing simultaneously, which one would you support?
My club without a doubt because there isn't anything exciting about the Super Eagles right now I believe.
 

Related

This Weekend 2353563112366131016

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

Hot in week

Recent

Comments

Advert

Text Widget

Connect With Us

item