Cristiano Ronaldo is my Ideal man – Chidinma

Young, hardworking, charming, pretty and petite are few words that best describes Chidinma Ekile, the first ever female to win the Project ...

Young, hardworking, charming, pretty and petite are few words that best describes Chidinma Ekile, the first ever female to win the Project Fame West Africa reality TV show. Chidinma has consistently shown she’s a top act when it comes to making hit songs. However, not many are in the know that just as the beautiful songbird has affection and passion for music; same could be said of her romance with football.
In this exclusive interview with Sundown Sports, the ‘Kedike’ crooner talks about her modest beginning, first love, and a fabulous footballer that she would instantly agree to date.

The Sexy Songbird in a Stunning and Flawless Look 



Could you share a little about your humble background?
I love the fact that you called my background humble. I’m from a family of seven, but if you include my dad and mum, we are nine. I’m the third girl. We have four boys and three girls. (I’m the last of the girls) I was born in Lagos and I’ve been living all my life in Lagos; Ketu to be precise. My state of origin is Imo State though and I’ve gone there before. The last time I went home was in 2008 when my sister got married.
I schooled in Ketu because that’s where I grew up before my family moved to Ikorodu. Immediately we moved to Ikorodu, I was offered an admission into the University of Lagos and it was the same year I met Project Fame; so I had to choose between Project Fame and my education. I eventually chose Project Fame and planned to go for my education later. I’m not yet back in school, but I’ll be going back this year or early next year. I was in the Nigerian Institute of Journalism because I also love broadcasting. In fact, broadcasting was my first love and I never thought I’ll be doing music this much. I’m no longer in the institute because I needed to focus on my music career.  Right now, having had a solid foundation musically, I could actually do what I want; like heading back to school and combining some other things. I’ve already built the needed foundation as far as music is concerned and I’m now matured in the profession which now affords me to add any other thing.

Don’t you think that your celebrity status will affect your all round performance in school?
It doesn’t matter, I’m only going there for one purpose and that’s to read. I know the glamour might try to take centre-stage but it’s left for me to be focused.

Could you keep the ‘superstar Chidinma’ at home and appear in school like an ‘ordinary Chidinma’?
I can do that but people wouldn’t let me.
                                             
While growing up, did you ever imagine being in the spotlight?
All is saw while I was young was that lady in front of the camera reading the news. I really practiced it a lot. I would sit in front of the mirror, pick up any book and start reading. Basically, I just saw myself as that person who loves TV a lot. Music for me was just a hobby and almost everybody in my family sings to the extent that we were always fond of making noise around the house. I never thought music was going to be this huge for me.

Are you a member of the chorister?
Yes I am. I got my voice training from church.

And your pastor allowed you to do secular music?
I had a chat with my pastor before I decided to do music full time. I told him that, ‘Pastor, don’t get scared that your chorister is going into the world’. I told him that I’m not going into the world but going to do my business. The church aspect of singing is my ministry because it’s what I’ve been called to do by God. But outside that, it’s my job and it’s what puts food on my table. I really explained to him and told him categorically not to be scared because he won’t see me half-naked on TV or using dirty words.

It’s easier to say you want to have a standard but we are conversant with the entertainment industry in Nigeria. How long do you think you can go trying to maintain a ‘decent chic?
Let’s see how it goes.

When you got into Project Fame, did you really fancy your chance to come out on top?
I’ve always followed the previous seasons and I just felt I should go and have fun. I never took it as a ‘do or die affair’ and I wasn’t bothered about winning. I just wanted to have fun on the show.

Could you describe the feeling when you eventually won?
It was shocking because at that point I never believed it. I tried so hard to hide my emotions but I couldn’t contain it. A lot of people thought I was being arrogant or that I knew I was going to win because I really don’t know how to express myself in that kind of situation. I was in total shock when I learnt that I won because I didn’t even hear when my name was called. My mum kept shouting my name in the middle of the audience. I wasn’t myself until I got back to the room.

Could you capture your parents’ reaction when you actually dropped education for a career in music?
My dad is a very strict man and for him, doing music is just a waste of time. I had expected that he would disown me if I ever tried to abandon my education for a career in music but he didn’t. I was so surprised but at the same time, I must say it was just God that worked in my favour. At the time I was going for audition I couldn’t even look at him and tell him; I had to send my mum to him but she was reluctant too. She maintained that I should go and tell my dad myself. I actually took the courage, stood a far off and told him.  He asked me the organizers and I told him MTN. He just said okay. I was shell-shocked because I wasn’t expecting anything positive in that regard from him. On the other hand, my mum’s philosophy is that one should do whatever he loves doing; so I didn’t face any problem from her end about my chosen path. During the course of the show, my dad didn’t show up until the last day.    

You seem to be quite different from other past Project Fame winners in that you never got your foot off the pedal since you claimed the prize. What’s the secret?
Right from the time when I was very young, I’ve always dared to be different and it usually got me into a whole lot of trouble with people, friends and most especially my father. But despite that, I was always resolved to be unique and stand out. I challenged myself not to fizzle out immediately after Project Fame. When I came up with ‘Jankoliko’, MTN was like; I can’t do that because it’s too local for their huge brand. I went back to think on it and I thought of bringing an established A-list on it to add flair and style to the song. I quickly called on Sound Sultan because I knew he does something close to what I wanted and he’s a big figure in the industry as well. Working with him was really fantastic.

You titled your two wave making singles, ‘Jankoliko’ and ‘Kedike’ which are both amusing going by their titles. What informed the names?
It is certainly one of my strategies. Winning Project Fame got me a good fan base but I needed to add to it. I needed to add various people from all walks of life; the bus conductor, little children, roadside buyers and sellers and just everybody. I really wanted a situation where everybody can relate with me. It wasn’t that ‘Jankolokoko” wasn’t meaningful but I needed a catchy title that could appeal to people.

What has changed since you won the Project Fame?
Let’s not deceive ourselves, a whole lot has changed. You can’t expect to see the same Chidinma; it’s not possible. Physically, psychologically or mentally; I’ve really changed. I can’t walk on the street anyhow anymore. There’s was a time I was frustrated when I just won the Project Fame. I told the people around me that they should just let me walk because I was tired of being driven around in a car. I also remember when I wanted to get a recharge card down the street in my estate; I had to run back to my house when I saw the reaction of the people around. I’ve always been disturbing my mum that I wanted to go out by myself but she wouldn’t allow me. But that very day, she just said I should go and I saw what she’s been avoiding for me. Even while driving, it’s always crazy.  I’ve tried so hard to be the normal Chidinma, but it’s always been tough.

Have you now fully adjusted to a celebrity lifestyle?
I’m still trying because even the people I work with are always complaining that I’ve got to change.

What was the first time you had contact with sport?
It’s been a very longtime! I have four brothers and they really love sports. Whenever there’s any sport programme going on, they’re always in front of the TV and it gets me angry. I was always complaining that they should allow me watch something else; but as time goes on, I just got used to it. So, whenever they’re watching, I’ll just sit there and be looking even when I don’t understand. Later, through their arguments and passion about football, I just got to love it.

Chidinma flaunts her favourite club's jersey in a striking back pose


I understand that you support Manchester United?
Yes, and I love Cristiano Ronaldo most especially.

Is your romance with C. Ronaldo now over since he’d left for Real Madrid?
Sadly, it is over! I didn’t follow him to his present club. I’m stuck with Man Utd.

Aside Ronaldo, do you like any other player in Man Utd?
No, I don’t. You know back then, there were always fine boys in Man Utd and they were used to winning almost all their matches; so I followed the winning team. I just love Man Utd and I’ve got to stick with them despite what they’re going through currently.

Looking back, do you have any magical or historical moment about Manchester United?
I can’t remember which year now, but it was when they won the UEFA Champions League and C. Ronaldo was still in the team at that time. I felt so happy. It got to a time I needed to ask myself that what’s my own with these people. I was too overwhelmed with great joy even when I wasn’t going to share in what they’ve won. It was great fun for me.

What do you dislike in football that you wish wasn’t part of the game?
There’s this thing Austin Okocha used to do then; he was too fond of spitting. The guy could hardly go a minute without spitting on the pitch; and the guys playing with him would still fall on the pitch. The whole thing was just so irritating to me. It’s absolutely rubbish.

Who is your favourite all time Nigerian footballer?
I used to love Austin Okocha. I didn’t really like Kanu because he fell down effortlessly too much. In fact, my father used to say why is he always going down? I think it’s down to the fact that Kanu is very light. I really liked Okocha during his playing days because he was always up-front dictating the play, very agile and extremely skillful.

So, what other sports do you like apart from football?
I don’t think I like any other sport. However, back in my school days, I used to march. I can march very well. I was always in the front. I used to love and it was great fun.

I wouldn’t know if your boyfriend likes football too?
I don’t have a boyfriend.

Would you accept if your future husband turned out to be crazy about football?
I won’t say he shouldn’t like football but he mustn’t be crazy about it because that’s when the problem would start. Imagine a situation whereby I finished cooking and his team just lost an important match; and he got so moody that he couldn’t even eat. I wouldn’t appreciate that. So, he mustn’t be crazy about football.

Which team do your brothers support?
They support Chelsea.

How was the reaction in your house when Chelsea won the UEFA Champions League?
Ah! It was crazy! My brother didn’t come back to the house until very late in the night. In fact, they didn’t even watch the match in the house because they wanted to be around friends. They said it’s always more interesting watching that kind of game with friends. By the time they came back, they were just shouting and flashing the entire blue thing around the house. It was so annoying.

Could you capture the scene at home whenever Man Utd and Chelsea are playing, especially while you’re watching with your brothers?
They normally taunt me and it’s so annoying. At one point, I almost loathed football. But I think it is part of the game and it’s very common with guys.

How do you enjoy your leisure?
I go to the gym and I do a little exercise with football. I also love listening to the radio.

CR7 has got a Fantastic Body Build 



Could you name one sportsman that you would instantly agree to date?
It has to be C. Ronaldo. The one and only CR7. He is just too handsome!

Who is that special artiste you’ve been dreaming to feature on a song?
It’s got to be Tuface Idibia. I really don’t fancy Tuface that much until I got on Project Fame. I was given his song to rehearse. My brothers at home knew I didn’t really like Tuface that much and was already afraid I was going to fail that week. But alas! I did the song and Tuface was just speechless. I never expected myself to come out on top with that song. It was at that point I felt the power in Tuface’s lyrics. It was such a big night that day. I was supposed to do ‘Jankoliko’ with him but the brand thing came in and we couldn’t do something together. But it’s very possible we do something together very soon.

On our screens, you certainly look bigger than this and not a petite lady at all?


It’s the camera and it’s actually intentional. 

Related

This Weekend 3041736504120645681

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

Hot in week

Recent

Comments

Advert

Text Widget

Connect With Us

item