Chelsea cannot be invincible this season and fate could make Arsenal end their startling run- Dotun Ojuolape

Do2dtun of Cool FM Lagos is confident that Chelsea will stumble Tell us a little of your background? I am from a family of five in...

Do2dtun of Cool FM Lagos is confident that Chelsea will stumble


Tell us a little of your background?
I am from a family of five including my mum and dad. It is a relatively comfortable family. My dad used to be a civil engineer and my mum is a nurse. My dad made me love Radio due to his love for news. He bought newspapers and we listened to Voice of America a lot back then.

While listening to radio, was it entertainment that got your attention?
No, it was everything! I listened to a lot of sports. I liked Lanre Izamoje, Golden Speech Obama and 15 minutes on Cool FM. I was also more into music.

At what point did you decide to go into radio professionally?
For me, going into radio was by accident. I was a dancer before I found myself doing radio. It was Mr. Nzeribe who linked me with Cool FM. He also gave me other options which I accepted, but Cool FM is the radio I ended up working with. He assisted me because he felt I was witty and funny, so he felt I had what it takes.

Your accent is quite impressive; did you develop it after you got the radio job?
Yeah I did. It was a transitional thing. I developed myself after working with great guys in the radio with great voices. I wanted to be like them. Right now, some people don’t like it but I don’t care because in this industry, it is about what you give to the public that matters, It is also about how you project yourself.

Do you do voice-over too?
Yeah! I have done loads. I’ve done some for Airtel, MTN, Project Fame, jingles for shows and events, Lucozade Boost advert and so on. I have lost count.


Your First day on the radio, did you have butterflies?
Yeah you will have butterflies in your tummy. My first day on the radio was stupid. I sounded crappy. Sometimes after a presentation, I will ask some of my big critic friends who will tell me how it was and what next to do to improve. I used to write presentation on papers, at least no one can see you doing that. My fan base began to grow when I started presenting a programme called ‘Sleep Talk’. It led to my big break.

Tell us about your experience on the radio and television?
For you to be a popular presenter, you need a face to it. Presenting programmes on the radio alone isn’t enough; you’ve got to be seen.
People like Toke Makinwa, IK are popular TV presenters from the radio. In radio, no one sees your face. That’s why I started my programme on Soundcity called the ‘Greatest Countdown on Planet Earth’ and anyone that sees it, would want to watch, and would be convinced that this guy knows what he’s doing, and also get to know my person; not just on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. I want people to see me often and get to see how I look, my kind of culture and the entire package.

How do you get A-list artists to come for your show?
Artists attend my show because of the values they get from it. They hardly turn me down. Upcoming artist know that is a great platform for them. So, they grab it whenever they are invited.

What’s your favourite sport?
I have found a great love for Formula 1 but also, I am a football fan. I am a great Arsenal fan. I was part of the team during their unbeaten run and I am still supporting them even as they are going through a period of transition. I have been an Arsenal fan for the past fifteen years and some people do not know what it takes to be part of a team for this long.


And how do you compare the days of the invincible and the present crop now?
There is a big difference. Then, we had a complete team. We had the great Thiery Henry and co. Since then, we have been trying to get on our feet and I don’t know what is going on. But I just have to go with the trend. People don’t understand what it means to be part of a team, good or bad; you’ve got to stick around.

What was your reaction when Manchester United spanked Arsenal at the Emirates some weeks ago?
Well, the reaction was never good. Wenger has spoken about it. Piers Morgan is an Arsenal fan who’s been very out spoken about the club. I have accepted criticisms from various people about my team. Most fans from other big clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea are not true fans because they weren’t there when these clubs were going through hard times. But now that there is money to splash around, everybody wants to join the band.

Are you one of these fans who would love to bid Wenger farewell?
Yes, I actually joined the #WengerOut campaign. We are tired of him. I like a man who builds a team that grows positively; and not just for making money. I like his style of play, but I don’t like his tactics and his stubborn nature.


What’s your take on Chelsea’s present form?
Chelsea is a great team, Mourinho is a psychologist. He is playing on the psyche of everybody, and using it to his advantage.

Do you see Chelsea going unbeaten throughout the season?
No, I don’t think so. Yes, they might run away with the EPL, but certainly not without a defeat. I will be very happy, if Arsenal can do the damage. Though it sounds like a joke, but I hope it happens.

What do you think Arsenal can achieve, despite their slow start to the season?
They need a lot of scrutiny. I don’t see them winning any trophy this season, not even the EPL, which is the toughest league in the world. Gibbs is the most improved player for Arsenal this season. Sanchez is also is a fantastic player, but Monreal is the worst buy for Arsenal.
Wenger is such an economist, and that’s what you get when you have same as a coach. I don’t know why they love him, and it’s so difficult to understand. He alone, knows his plans. Ozil is a wrong buy; such a player can never function without a Ronaldo. Sanchez is our best buy this season, no doubt. The team needs improvements. Their only achievement has been good returns which has been the problem really. Other teams do not care; they buy any player they want. In the EPL, Arsenal have the most expensive tickets, yet the fans pay to watch these young stars play and achieve nothing. It’s really tiring and frustrating.



Liverpool are struggling just like Arsenal; what is your view?
Similar problem, Balotelli is not needed in that team. Even when he didn’t play over the weekend, they still lost. They have too many individual players playing for themselves. The exit of Suarez has left a huge hole in the team that’s yet to be filled. Balotelli can only play better alongside a creative striker.

The Super-Eagles failed to qualify for the AFCON; was it politics that’s responsible for this?
Forget politics, corruption is affecting everything in this country. The same thing that affects the economy affects football. When one thing is not done properly, everything suffers. Also, the current crop of players lack enthusiasm and passion. These players we have currently are made; they can take out £20,000 and not feel anything. Look at David Beckham, his proceeds from his first game with PSG, he gave it to charity. Some of these guys play for passion. If a player is not playing well or not coming for training, such a player should be kicked out.

Don’t you think Keshi has ego?
Keshi did his best in the midst of all the controversies. He fought NFF to a standstill. If you don’t stand your ground like a Keshi, you will become a ball-boy or a ‘yes-man’. Keshi is the coach of the team, and if he feels any player won’t give him what he wants, he has the right to do whatever suits him.

Do you think Stephen Keshi is the best coach for the Super Eagles at the moment?
I will not say he is the best so far, the best coach Nigeria ever had was Clement Westerhorf. He built the best team and players that Nigeria is proud of today. These players played in the best clubs in the world, and made lots of money. All these were achieved because he had his own strategy; he knew the minds of the players, just as Mourinho of Chelsea. All we need now is a coach that can give us the best irrespective of his origin.

How do you unwind?
I play video games, watch movies with my wife; I go to parties and spend time with friends. I also like good food, especially when a restaurant is brand new; I can go there to see what they have in their kitchen, at least, just to try it out.

How do you find the equilibrium between your job, marriage and ladies generally?
I spend time with my family, and also do not act blunt to women. I try to be accommodating and at the same time, not lose focus. People say I am blunt, but I like it that way, yeah! I don’t want anyone to understand me so as to keep being relevant. The women will always come, but one has to act carefully by finding a way round all the demands.


Do you take your wife to parties?
No, she goes out when she wants. You know, she is from a family of entertainers so what do you want to tell her? She loves block-buster movies, series and all that. So, going out is something we do when we want to and she understands what I do.

How did you meet her?
I think that is personal to me. Nevertheless, we met as friends a long time and from then, we kept talking on the phone, chatting and that was it.

Did you decide on your own to settle down early or was it due to pressure from your spouse?
No, I don’t think I am the kind of guy that can be pushed. My plan was to get my first car at 25years of age, and get married at thirty years; and also have my business at thirty-five years. Though things might not go one’s way as planned, but somehow some things would still fall into place.



I have seen you in some music videos lately, like the ‘Shoki Remix’; do you think you can carve a niche for yourself in the music business?
I can’t even sing, but I can tell you what a good music is when I hear a song, I can tell you if it’s good or not. Although, some of those record label owners can sound good in music. However, music is not my line, but I have a record label I run on a low key. I have a good guy called Pepenazzi on the label; he’s a singer, songwriter, and a great musician. For me, I just want it on a low key for now.

What genre of music do you like?
I love Jazz, but right now, Jazz music is not popular in Nigeria, but soon it will break into the industry. I love R & B as well, Rap, Rock music and so on. Rock music is very spiritual, it comes from the soul.

Who are your favourite artists?
I love songs from T. Pain. I love T.I as well because he is different- a very crazy guy and unique. I also enjoy Ed Sheran and Tuface. Every of Tuface’s songs that dropped I loved it. I love Wyclef Jean too, Sound Sultan, Burna Boy- because he’s different, Pepenazzi and Olamide too. Olamide has given everybody in the industry a voice. If you don’t know how to connect to that next man, Olamide is there. In addition, I love Phyno. These guys make you appreciate your language. You know you can hear your language and appreciate it more. Their music is music for everybody.

What would you be doing if you were not on the radio?

I would be in advertising. I have always wanted to be a creative director. I love when I go online and see TV commercials; the way they sound, and when you hear them, they hit you. I want to be that guy that can change the face of advertising. When you see my pictures online, you see that I am different; I am that kind of guy. I don’t want to dress, behave or think like you. I just want to be different. I read advertising and public relation as major, under Mass-communication at the Lagos State University.

Related

Swag 2197229937139301624

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

Hot in week

Recent

Comments

Advert

Text Widget

Connect With Us

item